Sky Bet's Perfect Offer
The average cost to acquire a betting customer is ~£200. SkyBet are doing it for £2.60. What?!
Okay. So. 99% of bookmakers have some kind of “Bet £10, get a £20 free bet” offer. Cool. Whatever. No differentiation.
Sky Bet came up with something wildly different:
“Super 6: Predict six correct scores. Win £1 Million.”
All you need is a Sky Bet account. Why such a hit?
- Low friction: Completely free, takes 20 seconds
- Fits into my life: “I'm watching the games anyway”
- Fits into my social life: “All my friends play”
- Huge prize: A million is a talk trigger
Of course, they don't tell you that guessing six exact football scores is about as likely as winning the lottery. Alas. Probability.
The numbers speak for themselves.
• 15 years. £13 million paid. 5 million downloads.
• Napkin maths: 13/5 = £2.60 CPL
And that, friends and enemies, is why you learn how to write an offer. Hope whoever came up with it got a slice.